Saturday, July 31, 2010

Wake me up when August ends

People always talk about the ‘terrible twos.’  Now that we are most of the way through TWO (times two) I can say that I honestly haven’t found it terrible at all.  I’ve loved the age of two, loved.  This summer especially has been so much fun, and it’s amazing how much easier it’s been to go places and do things compared to last summer.

BUT

We’ve hit a little snag this week.  I’ve heard a lot of rumblings from mom friends lately about three.  That the age of three, actually, is way way more ‘terrible’ than two.  I wonder if we’ve started to hit the dreaded THREE a little bit early.  My sweet little Charlotte has become unbelievably defiant, and while I’ve always known she’s stubborn, lately it’s like living with a mule.  She YELLS at me.  Attitude! And all of a sudden she does not want to sleep.  At all.  Ever.  Poor Katie, who has always loved sleep and will ask to take a nap, is so sleep deprived, I've actually heard her tell Charlotte “I’m TIRED Lala!  Be quiet!!”  Yes, Lala, please, listen to Katie. 

The last few days aside, the summer of fun has continued.  I had all these plans of things I was going to do before the end of summer, including REALLY potty training the girls and I've yet to check one thing off that list.  But the other list, the great summer list?

Pool-
DSC02321DSC02316
CHECK! 

Boardwalk-
DSC02459DSC02475
CHECK!

Aquarium-
DSC02439DSC02451
CHECK!

Park-
DSC02420DSC02416
CHECK! 

Zoo-
DSC02502DSC02524
CHECK!

Carnival-
DSC02351DSC02350
CHECK!     

Baseball Game-
DSC02366DSC02368(1)
CHECK!

The beach is soon to come – vacation the end of August.  It’s been a pretty jam packed (awesome) summer so far.  One month left…. I think we will ALL be ready for fall.  And PRE-SCHOOL! 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh yes. YEs YES YES. Two was nothing. I remember saying what is everyone saying Terrible TWOs for? Max was FINE! Then it was like a switch went on when he turned 3. He turned into a saucy, defiant little sucker. Yells at me and mocks me!!! It's AWFUL! LOL. THREE is the bad age. I hear it just gets worse...lol. Oh well. You had such a fun summer it seems! Such SUMMERY things you did! We still havent gone to the beach. Maybe in August we will try it.

Our life is a bowl of Barry's said...

Before I scrolled down to your second paragraph I thought 'oh no, 3 is way worse'. Sorry to say, I found the age of 2 not so bad. 3? Well, hang on.....it's bound to be a bit bumpy! Of course there are great moments of being three also, don't get me wrong, but the defiance and attitude definitely make themselves at home!

Jenn said...

My son is 1 day younger than your kids. We did the 3 day potty training method (www.3daypottytraining.com). It is a crappy three days, but it definitely works. I would recommend it!

Cristy said...

I always say that whoever came up with the cath phrase "terribe twos" never met a 3 year old :)

As a mom to 2 girls ages 3 and 4 I can say without any doubt that 3 is way worse than 2.....but your payoff is 4....when they become delightful little people who you can somewhatverbally reason with :)

Lucky for you, your girls are off the charts adorable...(and preschool is right around the corner :)

Wendy said...

Three for us is not looking good either. Are you going to start pre-school after October? I'm really nervous about preschool for M&L... what's your plan and can I copy it :P

Janet said...

Great pictures! Your girls are adorable!

Anonymous said...

I was once told:
Terrible Twos
Terrifying Threes
Fearsome Fours

I would have to agree! I thought two was a breeze and I would gladly do it again over the entire 3rd year and half of the 4th. Now that we are in the 5s, there has been a little bit of regression back to the threes but most days we just sail on through.
Good luck, stay united and strong! It is so worth it in the end....even on those terrible day! An "I love you" at the end of the day makes you forget everything!

Vanessa said...

Three. I just don't know what to say about three year olds. My new usual answer to "How have you been?" has been a glassy eyed "I have a three year old." Or if they ask how Fin is, "Oh, he's three." But I have also heard that it starts to get better around 3 1/2, at least for a little while. Like about a two-three weeks ago, Fin just suddenly decided that he was done with diapers, and suddenly turned into the sweetest kid ever. At least at school. We still have our moments, but they are over faster, and further between.

Anonymous said...

I agree that the 3's were worse that the 2's for my family also. But once past that, you should have several enjoyable years before the next big hurdle-the pre-teen years!

Sarah said...

Hey!!! I am passing along a blogger award to you if you'd like - you can see it at:
http://fieldstriplets.blogspot.com/2010/08/blogger-award.html

Tell us 7 things about yourself and then pass the award on to 2 other blogs!

Love ya, Sarah

Jamie said...

My kids turned 3 on July 30 and it's like someone gave my son the devil for a birthday present! He fights us about everything now! It's getting old and it's only been 1.5 weeks!