Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Cookies??

When I was pregnant, I could not eat enough to meet the nutritional needs that came with carrying triplets. I was sent to a nutritionist, and told to add calories any way possible. Put butter on everything, use cream not milk, drink Ensure, the HIGH calorie ones.... As someone who has battled their weight literally my entire life, a mostly losing battle, it was the most surreal experience I've ever had.

I did manage to gain 60lbs by the time the babies were born at almost 33 weeks, which sounds like a lot but honestly, it could have been better. And then there were my teeny tiny babies. Born at 3ish pounds, the girls both came home still weighing under 5 pounds (Charlotte was BARELY four, i think the nurse put her thumb on the scale so we could take her home). They were on high calorie preemie formula for the first nine months of their lives. And then when they started eating 'food', they were picky, picky eaters. Between the two of them I don't think they ever finished an entire jar of baby food. Everything I made them to eat, I added calories to. It was like my pregnancy all over again. Tons of butter on their toast, cheese on their eggs, whole milk in their oatmeal, peanut butter on their apples.....

Obviously they eventually became better eaters. And they are now no longer under weight in any way, shape or form. I think actually, they're pretty much huge. They're tall, they have size nine feet, and they are nice, solid girls. But it is way past time to stop adding butter and cheese and cream to all their meals. My problem has been I have spent almost three years trying to fatten up these babies, part of that time before they were even born. It's like I can't let go of the idea that they need that butter. For all our sakes though (because let's be honest, no one loves the butter more than Mommy and I need it least of all) it's time to stop thinking anyone in this house needs fattening up.

And speaking of my girls and food, this past weekend we were supposed to get a lot of snow (which we didn't, stupid weathermen). Last Friday night though we were sure we were about to be snowed in, and I spent lots of time telling the girls all the fun things we would do the next day in the snow. Ever since I went to Atlantic City bedtime has become a bit of a struggle again, Katie and Charlotte both don't want to go to sleep anymore, calling for MOMMY MOMMY over and over, I'm assuming just to keep checking I'm still here and haven't run off to play the slots some more. That night Katie was the one really fighting sleep, so I went into her room and told her she had to go to sleep or we wouldn't get to do all the fun things I'd told her about. "Katie, if you go to sleep then tomorrow we can go sledding, and make a snowman, and you can throw snowballs and we'll bake cookies......"

She laid down, I went back downstairs and five minutes later the calling for MOMMY started all over again... and again... and again... it went on for almost two hours. I would go up, tell her go to sleep, and before I even hit the couch she was calling me again. FINALLY at 10pm I asked her WHAT? Katie, what, what do you want from Mommy? Why are you calling me??

Katie said.... "Mommy, cookies!! Where my cookies?"

Cookies??? "No, no cookies now, it's night time. We'll have cookies tomorrow. "

To which she replied, okay, and went to sleep.

My fault. All my fault. Never mention cookies to a 2 year old who doesn't quite grasp the concept of tonight and tomorrow. For two hours she had called me, waiting for me to bring some of those promised cookies she was sure Daddy and I were sitting downstairs eating.



Yep, she's my girl.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Alice is obsessed with cake. The child rejects cookies, brownies, whatever... but loves cake. We can convince her that all manner of healthy muffins and such are cake, though, so it works for us.

But, good lord, do we hear about CAAAAAAAKE over here.

Also, size 9 feet? Wowza! :)

Rocketgurl said...

Oh, that's funny! She was probably so mad! "Where da heck is my darn cookies!?" LOL

Anonymous said...

You are such a wonderful mommy to your SO CUTE girls!!!! Love your stories, so funny!!

Anonymous said...

Your girls are so cute! I still ask my husband where the cookies are before bed - is that so wrong? :)