Sunday, February 15, 2009

Be My Valentine

Thank you for all the kind words on the last entry. I truly appreciate all the thought that was put into a lot of the comments. I really do want to hear others feelings and opinions on this... on God, and loss, and why....

I'm really happy that so many people like the prayer. I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me.

Let me tell you the irony of this prayer though... my grandmother who gave it to me 20 years ago, was the biggest worrier alive. She worried to the point where she made herself sick. If you were supposed to be at her house at 10 am and were not there by 9:55 am then you were undoubtedly laying dead in a ditch somewhere. She worried her whole life away. She had a strong faith she loved and held onto... watching her read her daily prayers every single morning are some of my earliest memories. But she could never quite have enough faith to really believe that God would take care of her. Maybe that is part of what motivates me to try and be as optimistic as I can be.

(I'm talking about my grandmother in the past tense like she's dead. She's not... she's almost 92 and her mind is going.... she really doesn't even know who I am, though she always remembers Katie and Charlotte. And she still worries... it's just that now she's worrying about the little people she thinks are living in her kitchen cabinets and why the CBS News Anchor isn't waving back to her....)

Valentine's Day was nice, if uneventful. I made PJ his favorite meal, so we were probably the only couple in America dining on corned beef and cabbage as our romantic V-Day dinner. :)

I spent the entire previous week trying to get Valentine Cards for everyone, it was just overwhelming how many I needed to get. Cards from us to the girls, from the girls to PJ, from the girls to my parents, to his parents, from me to PJ, from me to my parents.... it took forever and with two crazy maniacs trying to climb out of the shopping cart I can no longer leisurely peruse the cards and pick just the exact right one. But I thought about all those Valentine's Days when all I really wanted was someone to buy a card for... anyone (other than my mother of course.) I've had many a lonely Valentine's. To have SO many people to love, how lucky I am. I could never have guessed back then on one of those lonely holidays how much love i would someday have. I should not complain. Though I do of course wish there was one more little Valentine in that pile.... the one for my sweet Jack.

Taking pictures of these two is not nearly as easy as it used to be.

Valentines Day 2008, my sweet angels:



Valentines Day 2009, my little monkeys!





Me and Katie... we tried to get all three of us but Charlotte was DONE.



Happy (Belated) Valentines Day!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live to read your blog and I love seeing the girls grow. I think of Jack so often. Whenever I see a rainbow or hear a certain song on the radio, For no reason at all I think of him, then I think of the girls and you...

Just know that you bring so much pleasure to so many that Jack is not forgotten and that your girls bring smiles to many many faces each and everyday

Elyse said...

Jack will never be forgotten. He may not be here on earth, but his spirit surrounds many still to this day.
~Elyse~

Abbie said...

Look at that hair!!! I just love seeing the differences in them. I've read your blog from wayyy back when and I just adore watching your girls grow up. And I never ever forget Jack.

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

when did the girls' hair get so long? and are those curls i see?!?!

by the way, i noticed their shows in these pictures (cute, by the way) and wondered if you ever rec'd the squeaky shoes. what do you think of them?

Anonymous said...

i always enjoy reading your blog.....you write so well!!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe grandma's not such a
photo-idiot after all! I think those are pretty good pics. Of course, my granddaughters are beautiful in every picture.

ccdean said...

I love seeing how big the girls are getting. I am always amazed. I see that Katie is wearing Squeaks, does she love them? My girls all love their Squeaks.

Lindsay said...

Your girls are so precious.... Happy Valentines day! Jack and my little Avi celebrated too.....
Lindsay
Mommy to Avi
www.rememberingavi.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

What great pictures - nothing wrong with corn beef and cabbage on V-Day - it is supppose to be a favorite meal. The girls are getting cuter and cuter.

An admirer from the Jersey shore

Eat, Drink and be Married said...

Those girls are TOO MUCH! I love the first one, second row, looks like Katie is telling Charlotte something she thinks is OH SO COOL and Charlotte is like "uhhh...yeah....right"

Brian and Debbie said...

Jack will always be your little valentine.

It's funny, in the pic of the girls from last year they look so different. This year they look so much alike! They're getting so big!

Anonymous said...

OMG! MEGAN YOU SCARED ME! I was getting worried Alma had passed! Has she stopped making cookies all together? Do they let her cook anymore?

I am loving the pics of the girls! They are so stinkin' adorable! I love that they love eachother so much! They are so beautiful and so are you!

Jack is with us all-especially his family-always! He was totally giving you all lots of love on Valentine's day and EVERYDAY! Just was we all give him and your family.

God bless you all!

I MISS YOU GIRLFRIEND! XOXOXO JENNI FROM CO

Wendy said...

How time flies. Love your glasses, too :)

Anonymous said...

The girls are getting so big!!! I'm sure Jack sent you kisses from above!!