Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sit down!

 DSC03225

The above photo pretty adequately shows how excited the girls were for their first REAL day of preschool on Tuesday.  They even insisted on wearing their backpacks despite the fact that nothing was in them.

However, when it came time for me to leave, Lala was a little iffy.  She said “no Mommy, you stay here, don’t go, stay with us!”   Until she realized there was about to be finger painting.  Then she forgot all about me. 

DSC03228The teachers said they did amazing for it being their first day, and told me “Wow, your kids REALLY love crafts.”  My little Martha Stewarts. 

When I picked them up yesterday, Katie kept telling me she was crying for me, and calling me… “I said Mommy! Mommy! Where are you?!  And I cried and cried.  Because I missed you.”  Charlotte even chimed in saying “Katie cried and I told her, don’t cry Katie, it’s okay.”  It was pretty pathetic. I took them out and bought them each a pink donut and a little stuffed dog to make them feel better.  I told Katie, don’t cry, Mommy will always be back to get you.

When I came to get them today, Katie ran up and immediately said the same thing “MOMMY!  I missed you!! I CRIED AND CRIED FOR YOU!”  The teacher said “Did she just say she cried?  She didn’t cry!  They didn’t cry at all while they were here.”  I knew it.  I knew.  I’d been played. 

Actually, as a source of information they’re pretty much useless.  I had visions of all these wonderful stories about their day and their new friends and what they were doing but so far, they’re tough to get much out of and it’s all inconsistent.  I know today was music class.  Katie said she played a tambourine, then complained they wouldn’t let her play the tambourine.  She said in addition to the tambourine there was a guitar and some instrument she evidently stuck in her ear so they took away.  She called it a lollipop but I’m thinking drumstick maybe?  Small maraca?  Lala said they sang Happy Birthday but Katie is adamant that they did not.  A book was read but one says it was about a school BUS and the other swears it was about a school BELL.  Charlotte told me a little girl who was sitting next to her  when I came in is her ‘favorite girl and best friend.’ but doesn't know her name and just calls her Girl.  I did find out they finger-painted tomatoes (though i think it was actually apples) and that they did play outside but the slide was too dirty and the sandbox was too wet to play in.  Katie didn’t like her string cheese or yogurt tube.  But they both liked the juice the school provided.  And evidently the teacher is always telling them to sit down. 

DSC03229

All in all, I think they like it.  I know this much…. Mommy loves it.  Three hours of sweet sweet freedom.  Worth every penny.

15 comments:

Lauren said...

I am hysterical. Love it. I'd say anything for a donut too.

Allison said...

Imagine if you only had one--you'd just believe they read a book about a school bus (or bell...) and wouldn't know otherwise. Someday this could be useful... :)

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! And cute all at the same time. I think you'll probably be hearing two "sides" of the story for the rest of your life.

She did it . . . no SHE DID IT! hehehe.

Can't wait to see how my child handles preschool.

Gwen Papp said...

Yeah, mine started preschool this week too. I was so psyched to hear stories, but they're pretty sketchy. Apparently my girls painted balloons (?), had a snack (that one was very clear), listened to stories (but they don't know about what). And they too said that they made friends but could not tell me the name of a single kid in the classroom.

Sarah said...

Love it!

My girls do the same thing. When I ask them a question about school, I usually get a question back instead of an answer.

Anonymous said...

When did they get so big?? They are gorgeous Megan! And I love their outfits!!

Cristy in CT said...

Love it too....Oprah always says that 2 people can share the shame exact situation and walk away having had 2 totally different experiences :) Enjoy your sweet freedom...you have earned it Mommy !

Cristy in CT

Unknown said...

how funny!! My two used to give conflicting information too. They are almost 4 now and do better, especially our girl-twin - she can go on and on some days! But yeah...still often pretty useless for info! ha!

Hope they keep enjoying it. They look adorable!

The Power Family said...

This post had me laughing so hard that I had to share with my husband! I love how Katie told you she cried and cried but really didn't, and how they disagree on everything that happens during the day! My oldest (2 1/2) hasn't started preschool yet, but I can't wait for the funny stories once he does.

health related said...

Hello, Your blog is great! I am a blog novice, I love life, to health, often to collect health information! My blog is http://health--related.blogspot.com, please give more concern!- one with followers!

Wendy said...

Aw! Such big girls. I hear ya about them not being great with the info- Molly could talk for half an hour and the only you would learn is likely, "giraffes have long necks!"

Therese said...

They are Too. Darn. Cute.

Enjoy your 3 hours! :)

Allison said...

I'm hysterical right now.

Anonymous said...

Someone mentioned your blog and as a blogging mom I thought I would check it out. Your girls are amazing and the strength you have shown through the loss of Jack is really remarkable. I find myself thinking of him often, I never met him but something tells me he would have been one very special little boy.

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

I can't stop laughing. I love that she played you. They both did. They are smart girls.

And the fact that they disagree on everything. That is a riot.

It doesn't get any better. My sisters kids are in 1st grade and kindergarten and they say the same things. Especially about best friends and not knowing their names. My niece is the worst telling my sister kids in her class by one name and when she meets the kid it really isn't their name.